Better Back-to-School Lunchbox
Back to school can be a busy time of year. If your kiddos will be packing their lunches for school, the Weis Dietitians have a variety of creative ideas to get you started. Kids can even get involved in the preparation and packing!
Besides being fun, healthy lunches are beneficial to our bodies! Consuming a lunch packed with nutritious foods from a variety of food groups can contribute to:
- Energy to power through the school day
- Growth and development
- Overall wellness and illness prevention
Packing a delicious and nutritious lunch doesn’t have to be difficult. Follow this simple equation: Whole Grain + Protein + Fruit + Vegetable + Optional Treat and you’ll find the possibilities are endless! Plus, you can customize the lunch to fit your child’s tastes and allergies.
Some tips to remember:
- Choose whole grain wraps, bread, tortillas, rice, pasta and snacks.
- Go beyond meat and include plant-based protein options like nut butters (if allowed), seed butters, beans, soy and more.
- Enjoy fruits/vegetables in any form, including fresh, canned, dried and 100% juice.
- Small, portion-controlled treats like fruit snacks, small candy bars and others are welcome in moderation.
- Pack hand-sanitizer or wipes to keep hands and surfaces free of germs.
Check out these tasty ideas to build-a-better-lunch this school year:
- Wraps (sweet or savory)
- Pasta Salad
- Yogurt Parfait
- No-Bake Energy Bites
- Kabobs (fruit, veggies or lunch meat)
- Dips (sweet or savory)
- Make Your Own Trail Mix
- English Muffin/Bagel Pizzas
- Grain Bowl
- Ants on a Log Reinvented
- Cut washed celery into sticks and fill with the ingredients/toppings below.
- Berries on a Branch (vanilla Greek yogurt, blueberries, sliced almonds)
- Beans on a Stalk (guacamole, black beans)
- Fish in a Stream (hummus, goldfish crackers)
- Bento Box Compartment Lunch
- Whole Grain + Protein + Fruit + Vegetable + Treat (optional)
- Popcorn + Hummus + Roasted Chickpeas + Celery + Pineapple
For more tips and recipe ideas, check out these articles and recipes from Weis HealthyBites Magazine or email email@example.com
Little Italy Pasta Salad
No-Bake Energy Bites
Turkey-Hummus Veggie Pinwheels